I was at the Tlicho Government Head office today in Behchoko, and saw this great photo of Adele Wedawin (taken by Tessa Macintosh) with sinew she made framed together with the following excerpt below:
"Our ancestors have used sinew thread since the beginning of time and still use it to this day. People travelled long distances to hunt caribou for their muscle strip, which is the long, thick muscle from the back leg of the caribou that is made into sinew. The sinew is dried and woven by hand for many hours, then soaked in water to loosen the strip. Once loose, the strip is then woven by hand again for many hours. Once this is done, it is shredded into fine strips of thread and ready for sewing. There was no needles in the past, so sinew was used as a needle and, thus many things could be made with it. Sinew thread was sued to make tents, pants, moccasins, shirts, dresses, jackets and mitts."
Taati K’e Nezi Naxixè Hòe?à (Season’s Greetings)!
The holiday shopping season has begin, so we've collected our favorite wish list gifts in no particular order!
- Jewelry by Creations for Continuity - Her collection adds a little northern light sparkle.
- Rabbit Mittens by Norman Wells Historical Society - These mittens will keep your fingers warm!
- Moosehide Jacket - To be given this jacket is a sign he/she really loves you.
- Beaded coaster by Dora Duncan - It's too beautiful to set a glass on but a beautiful gift to admire in a frame.
- Stroud Purses - made by the women of Gameti, own one for each month of the year!
- Ulu earrings by Mary Jane Nigiyok of Ulukhaktok, NT is the closest gift you can get from the North Pole.
- Vest by the Community Government of Whati, NT. It's all about layering up in Winter.
- Wrap around Moccasins or Jihke - Nothing else will keep your toes toasty warm this winter.
- Moosehide business card case - stunning but also a great place to hold your business card or ours.
- Rosaries by Amy - Has a beautiful collect of Rosaries for everyone, and after our list you may need to pray you've been nice!
Christmas season is just around the corner, and why not celebrate with a Holiday Giveaway!
We have five items to giveaway: sage, booklet, coffee mug, t-shirt and jacket over the next five weeks! All you have to do is like us on facebook, and leave a comment.
We will also enter your name a second time if you leave a comment here!
First Draw is a Tlicho Assembly Gathering Jacket enter now! Draw will be November 18, 2013.